Belcan Technical Recruitment are currently looking to recruit a Controls Engineer for our client who are a global conglomerate, which manufactures complex metal components and products based in Hereford. This is a permanent contract and with a very competitive salary package.
To install, repair and maintain electronic control equipment, PLCs and Instrumentation throughout the site. To advise on and perform several processes including; Calibration of Temperature, pressure, vacuum and other Instrumentation.
To identify and implement software / hardware modifications to electrical control equipment, PLC's and Instrumentation.
To ensure the correct set up of Combustion systems and burners for Furnaces.
- Installs, repairs, maintains and modifies various types of electronic control equipment, instrumentation and PLCs across the site. The work includes but is not exclusive to the following examples: furnace atmosphere and temperature control, electronic control modules for extrusion and forge presses, ultrasonic and eddy current test equipment. AC/DC Inverter drives, PLC and Automation control systems, SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition).
- Responsible for electrical safety design modifications and improvements to equipment and facilities.
- Responsible for electrical safety investigations and corrective actions.
- Develop cost justifications for improvement projects and corrective actions.
- Provides the service to install and commission data acquisition equipment onto legacy control systems to provide data for use in OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness).
- Can foster close working relationships with the IT department when installing and commissioning data acquisition equipment, or when machine connection across the company wide network is required for SCADA systems including data storage for all temperature control equipment.
- Assigning IP addresses.
- Achieving connection to the company network.
- OPC (Open Platform Communication) integration.
- FTP (File Transfer Protocol) for temperature records.
- Examines, identifies and corrects faults in equipment by: -
- Reading and interpreting drawings, circuit diagrams, Equipment Manuals and other specifications;
- Applying established or prescribed procedures or techniques for diagnosing faults and performing calibrations;
- Using test equipment such as digital multi meters, calibration sources and custom-built test apparatus, PLC diagnostic software, pressure and vacuum test equipment.
- Provides diagnostic and technical advice to the Engineering Personnel, Production and Technical functions; applying advanced specialist knowledge in the electrical/electronic engineering field, identifying and correcting faults on items of production plant and other equipment incorporating electro-hydraulic, electro-pneumatic and other relevant systems.
- Coordinate outside contractor work activities with maintenance personnel or production personnel as required to minimize impacts to cost and production.
- Responsible for critical spare parts assessments and parts standardization.
- Dismantles equipment, repairs and/or replaces faulty components and wiring. Re-assembles equipment, tests for correct functioning, and checks calibration and adjusts as necessary.
- Provides technical assistance to operations and the quality/technical team with regards to machine operation and setup, in order to assist in achieving the required machine performance, required material dimension or quality specifications.
- When on duty on shifts or outside normal working hours, deals with emergency instrument breakdowns and calibrations throughout the plant on a priority basis. Keeps the shift
Supervisor/Manager informed on significant matters arising. Summons additional assistance, if required, by contacting OEM's (Original Equipment Manufacturer) or third-party repair houses gaining expert assistance when required.
- Complies with procedures specified in Company documentation and current legislation.
- Receives appropriate training when control equipment and techniques change.
- Maintains a safe, clean and tidy working environment wherever duties are carried out and always adopts safe working practices . Ensures that tools and equipment are maintained in a safe and secure manner.
Recognition is given to the need to be available at home during weekends, on a rota basis, to cover call outs to deal with plant breakdown
Good personal and organisational skills. Excellent PC and PLC skills
Excellent fault finding/diagnostic skills
Ability to influence and gain commitment at all levels of the organization.
Ability to leverage best practices across the organization.
Goal oriented, data driven, with a strong sense of urgency.
Strong facilitation, communication, and presentation skills. The ability to organize and manage multiple projects.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
HNC or C&G Technician Certificate or NVQ level 3 in relevant discipline
Minimum 5 years' experience in a similar role
Single site, ca $200M revenue
WORK ENVIRONMENT -
Factory Floor/Office based. Some overseas travel may be expected.
This vacancy is being advertised by Belcan.